Pages

5.28.2015

Meaningful Photography Locations | flower mound family photographer

I am in a fabulous DFW photography Facebook group filled with wonderfully supportive photographers. A question that is posted repeatedly in the group is where to hold a photo shoot in different cities. Location, location, location. Through my short journey in photography, I have come to the realization that a meaningful location is a high priority in my book.

Before I really understood documentary photography, I wanted the picture perfect photos of my family in an open field with the gorgeous sunset. Or at a rustic barn with an old fence. An urban setting. While these all provide beautiful settings for portraits, do they have meaning to my family? Not really. We don't spend any time in open fields. We don't own a barn or visit farms on a regular basis. We live in the suburbs. So this isn't really what I am going for anymore because those photos don't give me an emotional connection to my family in the photos.

What really resonated with me was a comment my mother-in-law made last year when we took our Christmas card pictures. We originally planned to go to Old Alton Bridge in Denton, Texas. As you might image, thirty other photographers thought the same thing, meaning we would have to spend a good chunk of time waiting for our turn on the bridge. We immediately drove back to my mother-in-laws house and took a photograph outside her home. When I apologized for the bridge location not turning out, she said 'It's ok. This is more special to me because this is where I live. It means more to me than a random bridge'. Granted this exact spot was across the street from her house, a mere 10 steps away from her property, the idea is the same. She sees this view every single day, so it is perfect for her family photos.

family photo location, perfect photo location, meaningful family photo locations, jen faith brown photography, family photography, flower mound photography,


family photo location, perfect photo location, meaningful family photo locations, jen faith brown photography, family photography, flower mound photography,

So for my family, my thoughts on meaningful photo locations has changed. I want the locations to bring back memories when I look at the photos. On the days I feel like documenting our quality time together, we head to the lake because the boys love playing at the lake. I have said it a million times, but I was meant to be a boy mom and I absolutely love enjoying the lake with them. I enjoy watching them throw rocks in the water, climbing the rocks, and hiking the trails, Taking family photos at the lake is a natural choice for my family for the simple reason that we are there often.

family photo location, lake grapevine, perfect photo location, meaningful family photo locations, jen faith brown photography, family photography, flower mound photography,

family photo location, lake grapevine, perfect photo location, meaningful family photo locations, jen faith brown photography, family photography, flower mound photography,

family photo location, lake grapevine, perfect photo location, meaningful family photo locations, jen faith brown photography, family photography, flower mound photography,

When going on to the beach last year, I couldn't pass up doing a quick photo session with my family. Again, this is a beautiful setting, but also has meaning in that this was our first vacation together with the whole family. We are also making it an annual event so you can bet I will be bringing the tripod along to do family sessions at all our summer vacations. I am super excited because I am also having Jennifer Dell Photography do a mini session of just my small fam so I can get some wonderful pictures with me in them as we play on the beach. I can't wait for it!

family photo location, perfect photo location, meaningful family photo locations, jen faith brown photography, family photography, flower mound photography, beach photography, port aransas texas

family photo location, perfect photo location, meaningful family photo locations, jen faith brown photography, port aransas, beach photo, family beach photo, family photography, flower mound photography,

family photo location, perfect photo location, meaningful family photo locations, jen faith brown photography, port aransas, beach photo, family beach photo, family photography, flower mound photography,

Just as I loved having family photos on my vacation, I loved photographing my sister-in-law's family on their camping trip. Giving clients truly meaningful locations for their photos can make those photos that much more treasured.

family photo location, perfect photo location, meaningful family photo locations, jen faith brown photography, port aransas, beach photo, family camping photo, family photography, flower mound photography,

Lastly, and most importantly, the place where I will have the most memories is my home. Luckily the style of photography I am most drawn to is candid, genuine photos which are perfect for the home setting. I think my clients will completely get me on this and will be on board with a photo session in their home. You can't get much more meaningful a location than your own home!

family photo location, perfect photo location, meaningful family photo locations, jen faith brown photography, grapevine family, family photography, flower mound photography,

family photo location, perfect photo location, meaningful family photo locations, jen faith brown photography, grapevine family, family photography, flower mound photography,

family photo location, perfect photo location, meaningful family photo locations, jen faith brown photography, grapevine family, family photography, flower mound photography,

So my challenge to you is to think about where you would want your family photos taken. If you don't want them in your home, what location would best represent your family? What are some activities you do as a family that could be the perfect photo session? Go beyond the cute Pinterest ideas and think of what encapsulates YOUR family. The ideas and options are limitless.

If you are interested in discussing the perfection location for your family photos, head to my website and fill out a contact form!

Jen Faith Brown is a family photographer specializing in storytelling family photography session, either in home or on location. Jen is married with three young sons who keep her quite busy and give her abundant practice in photographing always-moving children! Jen is now booking 2015 sessions in Flower Mound, Southlake, Highland Village, Lewisville, Coppell, Frisco, and surround DFW areas. Please visit www.jenfaithbrownphotography.com for pricing and to view sample galleries.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with this whole heartedly. The right location, one that means something to you and your family, adds a vibration to the experience every time you look at the picture

    ReplyDelete